Whew! What a week we had last week. As if things weren’t already challenging enough, on Wednesday of last week my computer decided to stop working. Although thankfully I had MOST of what I needed copied onto my external hard drive, somehow – and I have a feeling it was “user” error – the user being me – I lost absolutely ALL the videos I have filmed over the last year. I cried. Yes, it seems silly to cry over videos but we’ve had so many little glitches and problems with computers and shipping and items I’m waiting for on backorder – that this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. When I looked in the mirror this morning, I swear I saw more gray hairs and bigger bags under my eyes *sigh* So I spent a good part of the end of last week and the weekend uploading software to the family computer so that I can use that until my computer is fixed. While I’m relieved to have a back up, now I’m constantly “fighting” with my kids over who gets to use the computer *lol*.
Anyways, onto today’s card. I have to confess, I’m getting pretty tired of Christmas cards since I’ve been making them since September, so today I decided that instead of another Christmas card, I was going to make a winter-themed thank you card. I find that the Christmas Cocoa designer paper is perfect for winter-themed projects – there’s no obvious Christmas “symbols” on the DP – just winter symbols (i.e. snowflakes). Besides, we still have MONTHS of winter left, and it feels silly making spring cards in January and February!
Today’s card was inspired by THIS card of Kristina Werner’s (one of my favorite bloggers). I used her card layout and general design features to create my card, only using all Stampin’ Up! product. I decided to step my card up a little by adding glittery snowflakes using Stampin’ Up!’s Fine Galaxy Glitter and Heat and Stick powder.
You can watch a video on how I made this card below:
- Take a 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ piece of Real Red CS and fold it in half using your bone folder. Run your embossing buddy along the bottom 1/2 of the card.
- Randomly stamp the snowflake from the Patterned Pines Level 1 Hostess Set (or you can use the Serene Snowflakes stamp set) onto the bottom of the card front using VersaMark ink.
- Sprinkle Heat and Stick embossing powder onto the stamped snowflakes. Melt the Heat and Stick powder with your heat tool. Quickly sprinkle on the gold fine galaxy glitter onto the Heat and Stick powder. Heat set with your heat tool. Set aside for a moment.
- Take a 3″ x 4″ piece of Whisper White CS and stamp your greeting from the Heard from the Heart stamp set along the top edge of the CS in Soft Suede Classic ink. Round the top two corners of the Whisper White CS piece with your corner rounder punch.
- Stick a 1 1/2″ x 4″ piece of striped Christmas Cocoa DP along the bottom edge of the Whisper White CS. Take a 5″ piece of ribbon and lay it across the seam of the DP. Bring the ends of the ribbon around to the back of the CS and stick them down with Snail adhesive.
- Thread three buttons (2 red and 1 mustard) from the Playground Designer Buttons collection with coordinating slivers of CS. Stick the buttons onto the DP as shown in the picture of the card.
- Center and stick the Whisper White CS piece onto the card front using 5 Stampin’ Dimensionals. You’re done!
I hope you enjoyed this card!
Stamps: Patterned Pines Level 1 hostess set (116525), or use Serene Snowflakes (115438), Heard from the Heart (111644)
Ink: Soft Suede Classic ink (115657)
Paper: Whisper White CS (101730), Real Red CS (102482), Christmas Cocoa DP (116770)
Accessories: Bone Folder (102300), Paper snips (103579), Snail adhesive (104332), mini glue dots (103683), Playground Designer Buttons (116313), 5/8″ Real Red Grosgrain Ribbon (109052), Fine Galaxy Glitter (114286), Heat and Stick powder (100625), heat tool (100005)