Select Page

Pun Fun Stampin' Up! Birthday Card

Happy Sunday everyone – I cannot tell you how happy I am to finally be in Ottawa!  You would not believe the trip we had .  The Weather Network was forecasting a huge snow storm front stretching all the way from Ottawa, ON up to Windsor, ON – Cambridge is in between the two.  The worst of the storm was supposed to hit Saturday and possible into Sunday, so at the last minute we decided it might be more prudent to leave for Ottawa on Friday evening.  By the time my husband got home from work and we loaded up the van, we didn’t get on the road until about 6:30 pm.  It had already started snowing by then.  Less than 15 minutes into the drive we realized that we were in for quite a ride!  The 401 (the major highway) was as slick as if it had been covered in ice.  There were accidents everywhere and we were praying like crazy that we wouldn’t get into one.  Six hours after we started we had just hit Bellville, ON – a drive that should have taken us only 2 – 2/12 hours in normal weather. I have to tell you – without a doubt the Lord was watching over us.  Before every road trip we take, my husband and I always pray together for a safe trip – that prayer was answered in a very definate way Friday night.  As we were driving through Toronto – there were 4 lanes of traffic on our side of the road – and the road was PACKED with cars – a GM Safari type van went speeding by us, and lost control directly in front us (less than 15 feet away), spinning around about 1 1/2 times – across 3 lanes of traffic, and ended up facing the wrong direction.  The miracle is that he did not hit anything or anyone.  I truly believe only divine intervention kept us from getting hit.  Our hearts were absolutely racing.  I’m so amazed at how my husband managed to keep calm and steady without slamming on the breaks (because we would have been rear-ended for sure). Then, unbelievable, that same van, went speeding by us again, less than 5 minutes later.  Some people never learn. 

Anyways, at 1:30 am we finally pulled off the road, and ended up staying at a hotel for the night in Bellville – all six of us in one room.  The baby (who is 18 month old), well actually all the kids,  thought it was a great adventure.  As we were trying to get everyone settled in bed, the baby was having no part of it! Thankfully the hotel had a playpen we could use (we didn’t bring one with us as we have one at my parent’s place), but because there were already two queen sized beds and a cot, there was not a lot of room to put the playpen.  We had it wedged in between a chair and the side of the TV armoire.  So there were were, lying in bed at 2 am, trying to keep the older kids from whispering and looking at the baby,  and the baby was banging his bottle against the side of the unit, and "babbling" at the kids trying to get their attention.  Finally around 2:30 am, we all fell asleep. 

Saturday, the driving was not much better.  We never travelled faster than about 40-50 km/hr  (~25 miles per hour).  It still took us another 4 1/2 hrs to get there.  So, all in all, a 5 1/2 hr drive ended up becoming a 12 hour drive.  The worst drive we’ve ever had! In total, 51 cm (21") of snow fell. We spent the rest of Saturday relaxing and recovering from our drive.  My husband headed back to Cambridge by train this morning (he has to work this week and just drove us down so I wouldn’t have to do it alone)., and my sister and I had the opportunity to spend the afternoon stamping.

I’m in the process of working on my next Class Planner for Stampin’ Up! demonstrators, but decided to take a break and stamp this card.  It uses the Pun Fun and A Little Birthday Cheer stamp set, East Coast Prep DP, the red striped ribbon, silver brads and Tempting Turquoise, Real Red and More Mustard CS. I colored in the whale using watercolor wonder crayons, outlined it in dazzling diamonds glitter and then added a little crystal effects to the water coming out of his spout and underneath to create a wet-looking effect (unfortunately I don’t think it really shows in the picture).  Anyways, if you need to get a hold of me, please send my an email as I’m checking them every day. I’ll also be posting throughout the week.

Pin It on Pinterest